Friday, October 16, 2009

Blog Catch Up







This beautiful beach is 20 minutes from Amado's house. It's HUGE waves are perfect for surfing, although the waves were a bit too intimidating to try it out.







I like that there is nothing touristy about El Salvador. It's been a nice break from hearing"chinitas" (little Chinese girls) when Kamille and I walk anywhere. We couch surfed with Amado, a retired teacher who was also hosting two other backpackers. He lives small minimalist home filled with stacks of books, a collection of classical music CDs, a few paintings on the walls, and not a whole lot more. His warm kindness and hospitality reminds me that there are good people everywhere despite the poverty and lack of work that many people are facing. The city turns off the water every once in a while when it gets low so I am learning to adjust accordingly. I like the feeling that living from my backpack gives me-that I don't really need much at all to be content and satisfied. With good company, Kamille and I enjoy going to the market and cooking dinner for everyone in the evenings. Although I still need a lot of practice, my spanish is getting better and I can understand the gist of most conversations.


When I am traveling, I like to eat whatever the locals eat because food is such an important part of anyones culture. My diet has consisted of lots of beans, rice, fried chicken, tortillas, and fried plantains, but I was able to mix it up a bit at a food tour with rabbit-it tastes like moist chicken.

El Salvador

1 comment:

  1. so i just noticed the part where you talk about being called "chinita" everywhere you went...totally reminded me of my time in spain, except all i ever heard was "rubia!" haha. funny how hispanic people seem to feel the need to remind you of your physical appearance all the time.

    ReplyDelete