Thursday, October 8, 2009

Goodbye Outpost, Hello Civilization

Stopping for a moment of peace...
I luckily stummbled upon an amazing place to do yoga. It was quite magical to be surrounded by birds sing to you in the downward dog position.



Right outside of Antigua, I hiked the active volcano, Pacaya. Normally, I am not the biggest fan of group hikes, but it was nice for saftey reasons. I loved having rolling clouds come over me and then hiking above the clouds! It felt like I was in a dream. Once we got to the top, Kamille and I proceeded to rost marshmellows with hot lava! We did an evening hike starting at 2:oo becuase you can see the lava better at night, although it made for quite an interesting descent in the dark.



The three pictures above are in Tikal. This has been one of my favorite places so far. Kamille and I even heard some jaguars! Can you find the monkey in the trees?

Yay! I made it to Guatemala!



The last time I sat three to a seat on a bus was in kindergarten!


Riding the chicken buses (an old school bus used for public transportation) in Guatemala has been quite the experince.

1) The bus rarely comes to a full stop, so you have to grab onto the handle bar and hope you make it on in one piece.
2) You sit shoulder to shoulder, three to a seat, and every turn is like playing a game of corners.
3) The driver's assistant will suddenly tell you that you have arrived, throw your bag off the bus, (mind you, it is still moving but has slowed down) and a cluster of people will be pushing to get out the door as theyjump off one by one.
4) You believe that you are at your final destination, but being "there" really means you have to take another transfer to do it all over again.



I would like to introduce you to my new furry friend, Mango (sorry Rudy). She's cute, cuddly and loves to play a mean game of 'haha... you can't catch me' with the neighborhood dogs.

Belize---> Guatemala

From the Outpost, I will greatly miss:
The amazing homemade food
The other volunteers
The amazing wildlife
Beautiful scenery
Fruit with every meal
Mango, the monkey

From the Outpost, I will not miss:
My daily serving of insect bites
Never being able to get your clothes 100% dry from the humidity

1 comment: